Assistant Operations Manager - Diamond Bus South East
Assistant Operations Manager - Diamond Bus South East
Salary Range £36,500 to £42,000
Job title: Assistant Operations Manager
Reporting to: Commercial and Operations Manager
Reporting to the Commercial and Operations Manager, the role of the Assistant Operations Manager will be to help manage a team of drivers, as well as the Control/Allocations and Recruitment Team. You will support the Operations Team to lead and manage all bus and coach operations, and through efficient management of the operation to grow profitability and provide a consistent quality of service to our customers.
You will support the delivery of depot performance with regard to drivers and operational staff and manage the customer experience, dealing with any customer service issues that arise.
To ensure a safe, punctual, reliable, and cost-effective delivery of service through robust and fair management of the team.
You will deliver a highly skilled, motivated and trained workforce through driver engagement and compliance with all operational policies and procedures.
Due to the nature and importance of this role, you will need to be a team player and you will need to work closely with internal stakeholders to ensure that daily targets are met. You must lead, promote structure and discipline within the workplace, behave in a professional manner and lead by example. You must treat other employees and staff with dignity and respect and as you yourself would expect to be treated.
- Drive engagement with driving team and customers
- To carry out driver appraisals and direct report appraisals.
- To improve staff skills and identify any training needs.
- To conduct any disciplinary, grievance or absence management reviews in accordance with Company Policy.
- To carry out return to work interviews, and pro-actively manage staff absence.
- To ensure all drivers are inducted effectively.
- To ensure that all driver route and type training is provided and recorded effectively.
- To ensure that staff welfare issues are dealt with effectively.
- To manage your direct reports in accordance with Rotala policies, standard operating procedures, and all relevant legislation.
- To support the Commercial and Operations Manager in delivering agreed plans and budgets, including established level of service and service quality.
- Ensure that the Operator's License undertakings are adhered to.
- Ensure staff planning at the depot meets the operational requirements of the business.
- Ensure an effective working relationship with recognized trade union representatives and officials.
- To take the lead on a campaign to reduce accidents and injuries.
- To ensure the effective management of incident prevention strategies.
- To manage and deliver agreed key performance indicators.
- To ensure positive working relationships are maintained between operations/commercial and engineering functions.
- Ensure you liaise with external bodies to improve performance of lost miles and punctuality.
- Ensure all cash handling procedures are followed.
TEAM RESPONSIBILITY KPI'S
Support the Commercial and Operations Manager to ensure that Controllers meet the following KPI's:
- Ensure all duties are correctly allocated and drivers depart on time.
- Ensure all vehicles are correctly allocated and according to type, livery, branding and emissions etc.
- Ensure all service delays (volume of traffic, breakdown, are mitigated through driver and vehicle replacement in real time.
- Ensure all driver absence and changeover is communicated to the Allocations Officer in real time.
- Ensure all breakdowns are recorded and communicated to the Engineering department in real time.
- Ensure all VCR's containing defect entries are handed to the Engineering department on receipt in real time.
- Ensure all vehicle changeover's (T-Card's) are changed to reflect the current allocation in real time.
- Ensure that Controllers monitor Ticketer tracking in real time and communicate any early/late running via Ticketer messaging to drivers.
- Ensure that Controllers monitor Ticketer (inbound) messaging and respond via Ticketer (outbound) messaging in real time.
- Ensure that Controllers allocate all Crew and Private Hire jobs on the day in the most time and cost-effective manner to ensure the ongoing success of the Private Hire Department
- Ensure that PHC is updated live and all changes and allocations are recorded
- Ensure that any delayed pick-ups, delayed crew arrivals or subbing out is recorded.
- Ensure that by 17:00 the Allocations for Crew and Private Hire for the next 24 hours has been checked and verified by the Duty Manager, to minimize the need to sub out work.
- Ensure that all systems (AOP or Air flights tracking and PHC or similar Systems) are monitored specifically with the focus of making sure each pick up is planned and on time
- Ensure all lost mileage is recorded within Rotala Hub 'Daily Lost Miles Record.'
- Ensure all driver absence is recorded and 'Return to Work' (RTW) documentation is completed.
- Ensure Drug and Alcohol testing (for-cause) is completed, as necessary.
- Ensure all accidents/incidents are recorded and notified to the respective department(s) in real time.
- Ensure all accident reports forms (ARF's) are completed prior to the employee departing depot.
- Driving assessments (on-road assessment) to be carried out on request.
- Revenue checking – ad-hoc and/or scheduled in advance.
- Ensure random Drug testing is conducted daily- minimum of 1 per day as standard.
- Ensure random Alcohol testing is conducted daily- minimum of 5 per day as standard.
- Ensure Driving CPC Cards checks are conducted daily.
- Ensure Gate Checks are conducted daily- minimum of 5 run-out per day and 5 run-back per day as standard.
- Ensure Service Monitoring (roadside and/or ticketer) is conducted daily- minimum of 10 per day as standard.
- Ensure Depot (departure time) Punctuality is conducted daily – minimum of 10 per day as standard.
DAILY REPORT (LINE MANAGER)
Immediately prior to the end of your shift, you must forward a written (email) account of all matters arising from the Company's daily operating activities to your line manager.
HOURS OF WORK
You are required to work 45 hours per week, this may include weekend working. You may also be required to work anti-social hours as well as Statutory Bank Holidays. A flexible approach toward working hours is required to ensure effective cover throughout each day of operation.
HEALTH & SAFETY
Employees are required to comply with all Statutory/Company Health & Safety Policies and Procedures.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of British Domestic Hours Rules, as defined within the Transport Act 1968 and the Working Time Regulations 1998.
- Competent user of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Email).
- Knowledge of other transport systems (OmniDas/Ticketer/Vimcar/Coach Manager/RotaCloud) would be desirable.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Transport Manager CPC
- A competitive salary will be on offer for the successful candidate.
- Friendly, diverse, and inclusive team.
- Training and progression opportunities available.
To Apply for this position, please email a copy of your CV and a covering letter to:
Emma Woods, Group Head of HR: firstname.lastname@example.org